Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

It's an official challenge~

Seriously.
Take the challenge and just see....

This month I challenged myself to make my own laundry soap.
I know...it probably seems like a lot of work, but really, it isn't.

I was prompted to do this for a few reasons:
1. We spend a grip of money on laundry soap.
2. My kids have very sensitive skin and get bumps from harsh laundry soap.
3. I have the personal conviction to try to be a little more "green."
4. I have always wondered if it was as good as store bought.
5. Was it as hard as I thought it was going to be?

I have to tell you...
I've been using my soap now for almost a week.
Approximately 7 loads of laundry.
I am delighted.
I am sold.
I am a homemade-laundry-soap-maker.
I am PROUD.

So I challenge you to try it too.
Be honest and give it at least a full week.
If you aren't prompted by the challenge, maybe you can be prompted by the dollar.

Here's the simple math:

Store bought laundry soap: $8.49 on sale (64 loads) 13 cents a load.
Doesn't sound too bad, right?
At 7 loads a week you are looking at almost $1 a week on soap.

Homemade laundry soap:
Materials:
Fels Naptha Bar Soap: $1.19 (WinCo)
Borax 20 Mule Team: $2.18 (WinCo)
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda: $2.49 (WinCo)
Total Materials Cost: $5.86
I used 1/3 bar of soap, 1/2 c. each of Borax & Arm and Hammer (approx $1 worth of materials)
The simple math is: about 2 cents a load.
At 7 loads a week you are looking at 14 cents.
Which is what you would have paid for ONE load of STORE BOUGHT soap.

Budget Friendly? Yes.
It took me 15 minutes to make.
Try it. Seriously.

Here is the recipe from The Family Homestead

Homemade Laundry Soap

1/3 bar Fels Naptha or other type of soap

½ cup washing soda

½ cup borax powder

~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~


Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan.


Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts.

Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved.


Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket.

Now add your soap mixture and stir.


Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir.

Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel.


You use ½ cup per load.

**A few things to note about the soap**

~The finished soap will not be a solid gel. It will be more of a watery gel that has been accurately described as an "egg noodle soup" look.

~The soap is a low sudsing soap. So if you don’t see suds, that is ok. Suds are not what does the cleaning, it is the ingredients in the soap.


You can also add 1/2-1oz of essential oil for fragrance.





1 comment:

  1. Hey J -- I'm inspired! Does this soap work for high efficiency washing machines? That's what we're supposed to use in our laundry facilities at the apartment. Love you!

    ReplyDelete