Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

it was all peachy until...

(alternately titled)....SON OF A PEACH.

Tonight's dinner was a little like a crazy roller coaster ride. 
So hang on for this doozy of a story.

It started like this:
I found a saliva inducing recipe in Better Home and Garden.
We had all of the ingredients.
We decided to make it.

Cheddar Stuffed Burgers with Peach Ketchup

Steve started preparing the meat while I went to work on the crack.
I mean, er....the peach ketchup.
It was easy.
Like easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.
AND. HOLD. THE. PHONE. IT WAS BOOOOOOMB.
(i even recall exclaiming..."peach ketchup, where have you been all my life?)

Steve is now outside grilling. 
(and subsequently burning off part of his eyebrows and eyelashes)
I had a quick break to have one of {those} talks with a certain 5 year old.  The one that goes something like, "It's time to set the table, this does not merit a full blown tantrum....etc, etc, yada yada."

I re-enter the kitchen where the 2 year old, beautifully handsome boy has been left to his own devices.
Do not call CPS.
There were no knives present.
I promise.
He is smiling.
So sweet.
I have a brief moment of, "I'm the luckiest mom in the world!" and then.....THEN....I see what he is smiling at.

My crack.
My peach ketchup.
My little bit of sweet-heaven-on-earth.
Dumped.
In. 
The.
Sink.
With a raw egg cracked on top of it.
::in.ed.i.ble::

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME?
(i will admit that a certain 31-year-old grown woman had a teensy weensy full blown tantrum...)

There is a peach still hiding in the fridge.
Sweet Jesus.
As I'm cursing under my breath I whip a new batch of straight sin.
People, it is THAT good.

Dinner is saved.
Dinner was darn good.


Here is the recipe:
4 medium peaches, peeled pitted and cut.
1/4 c. sugar
2 T cider vinegar
1 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
dash of cayenne pepper

2 lbs ground turkey or beef
2-3oz white cheddar or havarti cheese; shredded
Lettuce
hamburger buns

1. For peach ketcup, in a blender or food processor combine cut up peaches, sugar, cider vinegar, chili powder, cinnamon and cayenne pepper; blend until smooth.

2. In a large bowl lightly mix ground meat with 1/2 recipe of peach ketchup, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper.  Divide into 8 balls.  Make an indention in center of each ball and fill with some cheese.  Shape meat around cheese. Flatten into patties.

3. BBQ until desired doneness. 

4. Serve on lettuce lined toasted buns with additional cut up peaches and remaining peach ketchup.

Enjoy!!

i am joni lane and i think life's a peach.

1 comment:

  1. Right! I'm off to try that! I was just browsing through blogger when I saw 'Life's a peach' and had to read on... Love the blog, very funny! xx

    ReplyDelete