Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

family dinner doesn't have to cost your mortgage

i like to cook.
i like to try new recipes.
i love family dinners.
sometimes they are a total flop.
sometimes my kids won't touch the food with a 10 foot pole.

this dinner was...
cheap.
yummy.
easy.
eaten.
successful.

You can do it too.

I bought two whole fresh chickens on sale ($7.36)
I froze one, and cooked the other.
I stuffed one cut apple 1 potato and 1/2 cut lime inside the cavity.
Just under the skin, I stuffed fresh cilantro springs and quartered fresh limes.
I brushed the top with olive oil, added salt and pepper to taste, and threw a few more cilantro springs on top.
I baked the chicken in the oven.
(I don't know how long, I just check it often)

I found on sale at Smart and Final four artichokes for $1.99 (they were $4.00 off the original 5.99 price)

I made a delicious green salad with candied walnuts, golden raisins, avocado, red onion, croutons, feta cheese, cucumber and Breeana's Vinaigrette dressing.

Our last side was Trader Joe's red potatoes baked in the oven with a little butter and fresh rosemary from the garden.

As Rachel would say, it was YUM-O.
I used the leftover chicken in last night's lime chicken tacos.
Go get cookin.


No comments:

Post a Comment