Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

we're like peanut butter and jelly

we go together.


you might be wondering whom i'm referring to.


one of my favorite friends.
who i turn to when i need a quick attitude change.
an instantly gratifying...make everything-right-in-the-world-quickly kind of friend.
reliable.
really knows how to weather a storm.
versatile.
really, she has so many shades to her personality it's electrifying.


a friend i can count on to see me through to the end.




love her.
her name is EDEN.


*
*
*
*
*


*
*
*
*
*




*
*
*
*
*


and she only costs me around $3.50!!!

Last year during my momy-vaca with my dear sister-in-law I spied a fantastic table at the Starbucks on the Central Coast.  It looked so easy to make...and it looked like exactly what I wanted on my patio.
We used to have a huge Costco table that had a stone top and only 6 chairs would fit around it.  It took up a lot of space and wasn't what we (I) had envisioned for the space.
We found it a new home (my inlaws) and I set out to build the perfect table.

I started with 3, 8 ft. redwood boards, and 3 2x4x3's (for the underside) from Lowe's.  
They cut them on-site for me.  
I also purchased two IKEA table legs ($30 bucks or so shipped)
...and all the necessary hardware to secure my table.

Next, I borrowed some tools for my dad to make the holes so that the bolts would sit flush (or lower) than the table-top.  After the holes were drilled, Steve helped me hold everything in place while we tightened the hardware to keep it together.

I noticed the boards were a little heavy and wet when I drilled them, so I let it sit for about 5 days before doing anything else to the table.  Hopefully it won't warp. :)

After the table-top had sat, I soaked in a mason jar overnight apple cider vinegar and two steel-wool scrubbers with the lid on.

In the morning I brushed on the stain with a paint brush and allowed it to soak in really well.
After it dried, I put on two coats of polyurethane to seal the table.

Up next on my list: Chairs.
I really wanted chairs that could stay outside and not get totally screwed up.
I also refused to pay a lot for chairs.
Lucky for me, my dad's "collection skills" have come in handy.
12 ugly.
(not ugly so says my dad...i hurt his feelings with that description...so here are some new adjectives)
standard, taupe, blah, sparkle-less, 
pizzaz-less, did i mention standard
i don't do standard...i often equate it with ugly. but these aren't ugly, just standard. metal. folding. chairs.
Free.
Sold.


 After a good washing, it was time to call on one of my best friends, Miss Eden.  She's great, huh?


 I have 12 chairs sitting around it in the same space that used to hold 6.  
(Really it's two too many...10 fits perfect, 12 is just too squished.)



This entire project cost me approximately $160.  ($100 for wood/hardware, $30 for table legs, and $30 for stain/poly/spraypaint)

i amand last night my feet were green and I looked like kermit.

No comments:

Post a Comment