Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Deja Vu

 I've mentioned a time or two that I used to teach 3rd grade.
How I loved it.
How the kids were like my family.

But have I ever mentioned
that on my very first day ever teaching
I went home crying...

I was sure those little 7 & 8 year olds would find out I was a fraud.
I was:
Unsure.
Green.
Naive.
...who was the crazy who issued me a credential?

Yet, I was:
Hopeful.
Willing.
Determined.
...because deep down, I knew I was capable.

--------------------------------------------------------

It ended up being one of the best years ever.

Mostly because 7 & 8 year olds are really smart, and super resilient.
They didn't call me out as a fraud, but instead loved me.
Grew with me.
And we dominated 3rd grade curriculum.
Dom-i-nated!!!

My first class graduated this last year.
It made me feel old.
Yet, I can vividly recall their sweet little faces
walking into the classroom on the first day.

I can still picture their handwriting.
Their apple-bird drawings.
...and how much they grew.
It went by so fast...

Now my sweet Macy is a 3rd grader.
The reality has set in for me that it is going to be
just as fast.
Maybe faster.
I'm struggling with that today.

------------------------------------------------------------

So today, I'm feeling a little:
Nostalgic.
Clingy.
Anxious.
...about this year.

Yet, my heart also feels: 
Amazed.
Excited.
Grateful.
...because I know 3rd grade is going to rock her socks.
Because it certainly rocked mine.

it was also Steve's birthday, so he went to work later so he could see her off to school and enjoy some sweet birthday love from his kiddos.









i amand i'm considering toothpicks to help keep me from blinking.

4 comments:

  1. Seriously? 3rd grade ALREADY????

    ReplyDelete
  2. It brings tears to my eyes. I remember you at that age. How do you think it makes me feel? You have a beautiful family. MGM

    ReplyDelete
  3. your kids are both absolutely beautiful. I miss them both and tell Miss Macy that her haircut is adorable. Can't wait for awanas so I can see them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Sierra Unified needs to hire you back. You can be Zach and Luke's teacher every year until they graduate. That works for me..

    ReplyDelete