Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

anthems

Next week Steve and I will celebrate 12 years of marriage.
It's not a "golden" anniversary, or even a number where you consider renewing your vows, or going on a milestone trip.  At least not for us.
While celebrating our 12 years of commitment might not include some extravagant plan, or fancy jewelry, it gets me all giddy leading up to our anniversary, still.

I'm a reflector, an analogize-er, and one sappy son-of-a-gun.
It's easy for me to go back to those early feelings of twitterpatedness and remember with fondness the beginning of our love story.

And just like a cheesy chick-flick movie, mine is set to music.
Anthems if you will.
For each stage of life, there is a song.
Lyrics that embody who we were and what we were all about.

I'm sharing this on the blog, because as you know I print it into a book.
This is more for us than you.
I tend to believe however that my life amuses you.
My ramblings and verbage somehow tickle your joy fancy.
If it doesn't, please don't burst my bubble.
I'm fine being full of myself.

So onto our anthems, and looking forward to many many more anthems to come.

ANTHEM #1
(pre-steve)
Take Me As I Am- Faith Hill

This sums up how I felt about finding love before Steve, and it's still me.
"I don't need a bed of roses
'Cause roses wither away
All I really need is honesty
From someone with a strong heart
A gentle hand
Who'll take me as I am"


ANTHEM #2
(friend steve)
Slide- GooGoo Dolls

Now don't go reading too far into the lyrics here.
This song doesn't "sum" up friend Steve.

It includes a back story.
Steve and I were friends.
Only friends.
Nooooo love interest what-so-ever.
We went on a ski trip to Kirkwood in January or February with a bunch of friends together.
This song came on the radio in the car.
We sang together, while everyone else slept.
Something changed in my heart that trip for him.
He broke me.
Almost literally that trip... 
(but that's an entirely different story that includes giant bruises and no more skiing for this chick)
But the hook "so why don't you slide"...
It's what I felt about him.
Could we slide into being more than friends?
Could there be more than just serendipitous friendship?

It made me contemplate:
"And I'll do anythin' you ever dreamed to be complete
Little pieces of the nothin' that fall
Oh, May
Put your arms around me
What you feel is what you are
And what you are is beautiful
Oh, May
Do you wanna get married Or run away?"

ANTEHM #3
How Do I Get There?- Deana Carter

Oh Gina. (If you never watched Martin, this line isn't funny to you.)

Talk about a change of heart.
Love sick puppy, cupid's arrow, whatever you want to call it.
Steve was all I could think about by May.
I went on a camping trip with a friend down the coastline for a week and came 
home an entire day early
because I was missing him soooo much.
Love sick.
But, he didn't really know it yet.
Remember, we were just friends still.
I listened to this song over and over and over and over....
I'm sorry to my roommates at the time who probably thought my radio was broken.
It wasn't.
I was smitten.
And slightly obsessed.
Okay, really obsessed.
And terrified.
What if he didn't reciprocate my feelings?
What if I really was only a friend...could I stay friends after this?

So I did what any sappy girl does.
I literally played the song for him.
On my little boombox.
In the foyer of my house as he was getting ready to leave.
A desperate plea and attempt for knowing where I stood with him.
He listened.
I'm pretty sure I starred at the floor the entire time.
Longest 3 minutes of my life. 
Probably EVER.


"How Do I Get There"

We've always been the best of friends.
No secrets and no demands, but suddenly from somewhere
Out of the blue, I see a different light around you.
One thing I haven't told you, I just want to hold you
And never let go.
I need to know

How do I get there from here? How do I make you see?
How do I tell you what my heart's been telling me?
Lost in your loving arms, that's where I wanna be.
You know I love you, how do I get there?

You probably think I've lost my mind, taking this chance
Crossing that line. I promise to be truer than true.
Dreamin' every night with these arms around you.
I can't wait any longer. This feeling's getting stronger.
Help me find a way

The shortest distance between two points is a
Straight line, but
I'll climb any mountain that you want me to climb
The perfect combination is your heart and mine
Darlin' won't you give me sign?"
-----------------
It's important that you hear the whole song.
I believed every word was written for this moment for him and I.
Thanks Deana. I owe ya one.
And to my great elation, he gave me a sign.
Serious make-out people.
Serious.
For reals.

ANTHEM #4

This is our song.
Our "first" dance song from our wedding.
July 28, 2001.

It is the epitome of sappy.
Don't judge.
It still gets me all emotional.

"Smiling just to see the smile upon your face 
These are the moments I thank God that I'm alive 
These are the moments I'll remember all my life 
I found all I've waited for 
And I could not ask for more 
Looking in your eyes 
Seeing all I need 
Everything you are is everything to me" 

ANTHEM #5
More Cowbell- Saturday Night Live

I know.
It's not really an anthem song.

But it's hella funny.
(I know hella is a 90's word, I don't care)
The "More Cowbell" skit makes you laugh.
You forget about drama.
You forget about the issues that give you grief.
And you laugh.

Steve is "more cowbell" for me.
He's the yin to my yang.
The perfect comedic timing.
Almost British in his humor.
He's brings it.
Subtly, and sometimes like cowbell.
Especially when he does the worm.
Life is "fun-ner" with Steve.
And life was "really good"...but we needed more cowbell.
So, we decided to start having kids.

ANTHEM #6
You and Me- Dave Matthews

And then we had kids.
Gloriously wonderful, and difficult, and not a pampers commercial at all.
Media liars.
So we learned...
...what life would be for us.
Our own story.
No Ozzie and Harriett.
No "Wonder Years."
We called it "Life from the Hilltop"
And later, "From the Catbird Seat"
When we realized we had it all.
And we've always chosen to be happy.
We've worked hard to stay,
In love.

------------------------


"Oh, and when the kids are old enough
We're gonna teach them to fly

You and me together, we could do anything, Baby
You and me together yes, yes

We can always look back at what we did
All these memories of you and me baby
But right now it's you and me forever girl
And you know we could do better than anything that we did
You know that you and me, we could do anything"





Happy almost anniversary Swenavin James, Sven, Steve-o...
Wishing you lots more anthems Hottie Mc Hot Pants.
...we could do anything.

Love ya.
-J



I am joni lane and i secretly sing "i'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for these dishes ohhh ohh ohhh yeah"...when i clean. yup.

1 comment: