Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Operative word

Mom.
Seriously.
Does everything ALWAYS have to be a lesson with you??!

Story:
Macy and I are waiting patiently for Zachary to finish his baseball camp and we are visiting, talking, shooting the breeze. 
She says something that was kinda a diss to herself and we giggle but I interject , "WAS is the operative word there."

She's happy to let it go, go on with our day.

I stop.

Do you know what that means?

No, she says.

Please note this was not her making a segue for me, giving me an open invitation for a lesson. 

True to form, I take it anyways.

I begin by modeling four different sentences asking her what she guesses the operative word might be.

She's not biting.
She's irritated.
You can imagine the eye rolling circus going on that face of hers.

I'm a professional though.
Eye rolling badminton is my game.

I make sure she knows I'm not giving up.
NOT being the operative word there.

I ask another series of thoughtful sentences to have her pick out the most important word in the sentence. 

She's a tough one.
I'm getting the "walking two steps ahead of you" defense.

Not. Giving. Up.

I try a new strategy.
Here Macy, look...I'll even google it to show you some examples.

Now the trapeze artist of eye rolls takes center stage. 

Mom.
Seriously.
Does everything ALWAYS have to be a lesson with you??!

Answer: YES.





No comments:

Post a Comment